It is very important to perform a temporary test build up of the rotating assembly. The objective of this procedure is to show you how to undertake final check of components for pre-assembly.
Part 1. Preparation and safety
- Undertake final check of components for pre-assembly.
Whenever you perform a task in the workshop you must use personal protective clothing and equipment that is appropriate for the task and which conforms to your local safety regulations and policies. Among other items, this may include:
- Work clothing - such as coveralls and steel-capped footwear
- Eye protection - such as safety glasses and face masks
- Ear protection - such as earmuffs and earplugs
- Hand protection - such as rubber gloves and barrier cream
- Respiratory equipment - such as face masks and valved respirators
If you are not certain what is appropriate or required, ask your supervisor.
- Make sure that you understand and observe all legislative and personal safety procedures when carrying out the following tasks. If you are unsure of what these are, ask your supervisor.
Points to note
- All of your components should be either refurbished or new.
Part 2: Step-by-step instruction
- Perform temporary test buildup
It is very important to perform a temporary test build up of the rotating assembly. It does not need to include the piston rings or a rear main seal for the crankshaft, but you should also install the camshaft, cylinder heads and the valve train for one cylinder.
Do not skip this section of the rebuild, it will determine if additional machining or exchange of any parts will be necessary.
All of your components should now be either refurbished, new, or thoroughly cleaned. The decks, cylinders and main bores of the block should all be refurbished.
The Pistons should be clean or new and the rods refurbished on both the big and small ends. All of the crankshaft journals should have been inspected and reground if necessary.
The camshaft and lifters should have passed inspection or be new, as well as the timing set. The cylinder heads and all related valve train components should also be clean, refurbished or new.
For this Pre-Assembly, have the head and intake gaskets as well as the oil pan and valve cover gaskets nearby. Also have the main, rod and cam bearings ready for when you install their related components.